8 Often Overlooked Health Benefits Of Walking
People who want to lose weight hardly begin exercising because it takes too much determination and commitment to do regular workouts. But there are simpler ways of improving your lifestyle that are within the reach of hand, natural actions that we do every day, like walking.
Modern life has made us more sedentary, and instead of walking we use the car, instead of climbing on the stairs, we take the elevator, and instead of cleaning our own house, we hire someone to do it. These measures are time saving, but when we are not exercising, we end up gaining weight. The simple action of walking has more advantages than most of us are aware of.
- It gives you energy. The lack of exercise causes tension in the muscles and stiffness of joints, not to mention that state of drowsiness. So, the next time you feel stiff and like doing nothing at all, take a 10 minutes quick walk and you will see the difference.
- It tones the muscles of your feet and hands. If you want to begin shaping you body and defining your muscles, walking is a good start. More muscles are involved: the muscles of your feet, hands, and also your abdominal muscles and your glutes (buttock muscles). In combination with a muscle building diet plan this helps firm and tone everything.
- It helps you lose some body fat. It may not be as effective as other exercises, but it does make a small difference.
- It improves sugar blood levels after a meal. If you have poor glucose tolerance, have a walk after eating instead of lying down and you will be able to better control your blood glucose.
- It reduces stress. Instead of taking the bus home, have a walk, preferably in a natural setting, and negative thoughts will slowly fade away.
- It improves balance is the elderly. Falls can be very dangerous at a certain age, but when you walk regularly, you are less prone to accidents.
- It gives you a break and you have time to think. Efficiency is the main guiding principle for most working people nowadays. But when you don't have a spare minute at all, you end up feeling worn-out. While you walk, you can think of different solutions for your everyday problems or of something less stressful.
- It prevents some serious conditions, like dementia, osteoporosis, heart disease, asthma, some cancers, and diabetes.
Keeping healthy and fit is simpler than you have imagined. Sometimes we just have to try what Mother Nature intended our bodies to do and the results will not delay.