10 Reasons Why Seniors Should Maintain Their Exercise Levels
It is possible to age beautifully and this doesn't refer to undergoing plastic surgery to reduce wrinkles or to some wonder medicine. The best way to maintain your health in old age is exercising throughout all your life and continuing your workouts even when you are over 50. Most people see this age as a time to rest and keep your energy, but this belief is wrong. And even if you never used to exercise, it is never too late to start, if you choose the type of sport which suits your health and abilities. But let's see exactly what the benefits of exercising for seniors are.
- Your health deteriorates faster if you don't exercise at all. Exercising regularly can prevent or delay many illnesses associate with aging and reduce the impact of chronic diseases. Seniors who exercise have a lower risk of Alzheimer's, obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease and colon cancer.
- Exercising improves the quality of life and you will enjoy both physical and psychological benefits.
- Exercising helps you maintain your weight or lose some extra pounds.
- Your balance will increase and you will avoid falling injuries which cause disability in many seniors.
- Exercise speeds wound healing in seniors.
- You will live longer if you engage in moderate physical activity.
- Even 10 minutes of walking every day can make the difference in the case of seniors.
- Even people who are 80 or 90 can benefit from physical activity and enjoy enhanced independence.
- There are adjusted exercises for disabled people, too.
- People who exercise have a better sleep, enjoy a better mood and their brain functions do not deteriorate so fast.
Before taking up any sport, it is recommended to ask for your doctor's advice, especially if you are aware of any preexisting conditions. Another recommendation is to start slowly and increase the intensity of the exercises little by little. If you experience any unpleasant symptom, stop exercising and call your doctor. Turn exercising into a pleasant habit and you will never give it up.